The Happy Reader is a unique magazine about reading for anyone who wishes to stay inspired, informed and entertained.With beautiful typography, the magazine is a design object which celebrates the pure pleasure of reading and the calming luxury of being offline.
Each issue is split into two halves. The first half is an in-depth interview with a book fanatic and the second half gets under the skin of one classic work of literature.
Issue No. 15
Beaches, books and juniper berries: this season’s cover star SARAH JESSICA PARKER is photographed by Roe Etheridge in Amaganesett, Long Island.
Our Book of the Season, JAPANESE GHOST STORIES, is centre of gravity to a series of hallucinatory artworks; correspondents around the world compile an obsessive yet fragmentary portrait of the book’s odd author, Lafcadio Hearn. Contributors include Lieko Shiga, John Self, Travis Elborough, Bess Lovejoy and Moeko Fujii.
- To be seen
- The Interview : SARAH JESSICA PARKER by Paul Flynn —‘I will do anything to not finish a book.’
- Staff picks
- Apparitions by Lieko Shiga—Phantasmagorical photographs
- Born by Seb Emina —Lefkada, Ionia
- Abandoned by John Self —Dublin, Ireland
- Hired by Travis Elborough —Cincinnati, Ohio
- Possessed by Bess Lovejoy —New Orleans, Louisiana
- Resurrected by Moeko Fujii —Tokyo, Japan
- An addictive tragedy