Monocle’s October issue is all about new looks. From our style special to features about the businesses and industries to watch, we look at what’s happening around the world and what’s ahead. Inside you’ll find big interviews, thought-provoking arguments, long reads and stunning photography.
Expect insights from experts on world affairs, design and the up-and-coming places to put on your next travel itinerary. Plus: our autumn culture preview, the season’s best fashion from Paris and Tokyo, and the shops and restaurants to seek out wherever you go.
At the front
- Editor’s letter: Andrew Tuck explains why the beginning of autumn presents an opportunity to put ideas into action – and how Monocle has done just that. So don’t be deterred that long summer days are coming to an end; now is the time to tick off that to-do list. Let’s get going.
- At the front: A few pointers from Monocle’s editorial director Tyler Brûlé for October 2021.
- The Opener: Cheesy travel tales, crop circles in Africa and a language-led rebellion in Taiwan. Plus: updates from our bureaux.
- Observation: Ural MotorcyclesOnce a utilitarian Soviet vehicle, Ural Motorcycles are back in vogue. Junichi Toyofuku is taken for a spin.
- New York: The creative director of America’s oldest clothing brand on the preppy bounceback.
- My cabinet: Phillippe SchuchtThe neurosurgical oncology team at the University Hospital of Bern have their patients’ brains on their minds. Here’s how they operate.